Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Thrifting Finds

A couple of weekends ago, M and I went down to Culpeper to visit our wedding venue and pick up some wine.  (The perks of getting married at a vineyard, let me tell you them...)  When we got off the highway, M saw an army surplus store and asked if we could go in so he could get some camo pants for paintball.  Since I'd been dragging him around to talk to caterers, I thought it was only fair that we stop in for a minute.  As we pulled in he pointed out that it was an indoor flea market as well, and pointed to some rugs they had in the front.  I was not optimistic, but decided to browse the cramped little flea market while he shopped for pants.

Slindy's Flea Market (courtesy of Google satellite view)
Talk about your diamonds in the rough.  Innocuous from the outside, Slindy's was a treasure trove inside.  The cramped room we walked into led to an underground basement of 7 or 8 rooms crammed high with furniture, vases, records, dishes, anything you could wish for*.  M quickly abandoned his search for pants and we spent the next hour investigating the flea market.  We picked up some cool stuff, but there were a lot of things I would have liked to get if I'd known what to do with them.

[personal photo]
There was an entire room filled with vases - I counted over 70 of the red vases on the top shelf, and probably 30 of the little blue vases on the bottom.  We seriously considered making red one of our wedding colors when we found out they were all on sale for $1 each. 

[personal photo]
I found about two dozen of these gold hanging pots in two different sizes.  I didn't pick any up, but I'm thinking about buying them the next time we're down there.  What do you think - wedding decor?  They're about 4 in and 6 in across.  I'm considering putting candles or flowers in them and hanging them around our venue, which already has hooks on the outer walls.  Any ideas?  Anyone know what these actually are??


Luckily we did find a few things that we bought right away, I'll share those with you guys a little later.  In the meanwhile, if you're in Culpeper, I recommend checking out Slindy's (especially if your wedding colors are red and you need vases... just saying). 

*Except a cake stand.  I was wishing for a cake stand.  :(

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I love thrift stores! What an exciting find! Can't wait to see what treasures you found. :)

    ReplyDelete