Friday, April 29, 2011

Checkmate, Kate!

Fair warning, if you're sick of hearing about the Royal Wedding, you may want to skip this post.
But let's face it, you're reading a wedding blog.  You probably love it as much as I do.

Hands up, ladies - who woke up to watch the Royal Wedding this morning?  When I first started hearing about the RW (that's what the cool bloggers call it, right?) I wasn't all that interested.  Sure, Kate Middleton seemed nice, and had fantastic hair, but what did a $34 million dollar wedding have in common with mine?

But as we drew closer, I grew more obsessed.  I eagerly read wedding predictions, dress ideas, rumors that cropped up... by Monday I was at a fever pitch, waiting for the week to be over so the WEDDING could begin!  (I can't even imagine what I'll be like the week I get married)  M was pretty indulgent, even when he saw me making weird faces before going to bed and asked me about what I was thinking....

"Oh... nothing."
"Is it about the Royal Wedding?"
"I'mjustwonderingwhatKate'sfeelingrightnowshemustbeSOexcited!!"

Ah-hem.  Of course, maybe the worst was setting the alarm for 5am without telling him and sneaking out of bed this morning so I could watch the wedding, leaving him unable to get back to sleep.  But he should have seen that coming, right?  Nonetheless, this morning I donned a fancy hat, brewed a cuppa tea, and settled in to watch The Wedding.


First and foremost... the dress.  My first reaction was LACE!  (I love lace)  I was happy to see her in a Princess Grace style, since that's what I predicted she'd wear.  I know not everyone was happy with a conservative choice, but let's be honest...

Kate says it best. [src]
For what it's worth, it's not something I would have picked, but hey - I didn't have the entire monarchy judging me.  I think it was classy and timeless, and complimented her figure.  It won't be setting trends for the next 10 years, but I think women have enough inspiration.

To me, the most interesting part was the ceremony itself.  For some reason, I loved the tradition of William facing away from Kate as she processed down the aisle.  One of my favorite moments was when Prince Harry peeked at Kate, then turned to tease William, who in turn couldn't help but sneak a quick look.  Adorable!

Harry gets a sneak peek [src]

I also enjoyed the readings, even though I'm not overly big on tradition or highly religious readings, I thought they had some great public speakers with real words of wisdom.  In any case, I wasn't as bored as William!  The choir was lovely too, singing some very original pieces.  "Jerusalem’, (by Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry, words by William Blake) was my favorite and really captured a modern take on a traditional hymn.

Kate and Will, I wish you the best of luck - thanks for sharing your engagement with the rest of us and letting us see a fairytale wedding come true!

Have a great weekend!  [src]

2 comments:

  1. I was up for it too! Although my alarm was set for 3:35. My fiance was warned about it beforehand, but still complained that I woke him up. Which is silly because he was back fast asleep when I woke him up around 7 all excited after the ceremony had ended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got up and let me tell ya I was so anti-Royal wedding but in the end curiosity got the best of me. I thought her dress was a perfect blend of her personal style and future princess-ness (it's a word) without being over the top. My favorite parts of the day were also the interactions between William and Harry. When they arrived and yes when Kate was walking down the aisle.

    ReplyDelete